Wanderung zum Grettestølen Bergbauernhof
Dies ist eine familienfreundliche Kulturwanderung zum Bergbauernhof Grettestølen. Auf dieser Reise erwecken wir die lokalen kulturellen Traditionen der Bergbewirtschaftung zum Leben. Die Wanderung nach Grettestølen dauert etwa zwei Stunden. Unterwegs genießen wir die schöne Aussicht auf Voss, die umliegenden Berge und die spektakuläre Flussnatur von Raundalen.
Dieser Inhalt ist zur Zeit nur auf Englisch verfügbar.
Inger Marie is the milkmaid of Grettestølen. She wishes us welcome and tells us about the ancient tradition of mountain farming. Inger Marie serves us a delicious two-course lunch made of locally crafted food from Selheim Gard and the mountain farm.
Voss has over 300 mountain farms. Most of them are not in operation anymore. Old paths, stone fences and building remains are gradually overtaken by vegetation and slipping out of memory. By joining this trip, you will contribute to keeping alive the knowledge of a cultural heritage dating back over 4000 years.
We start our hike at Selheim Gard, at the beginning of Raundalen Valley. Lars and Hilde own and run both the farm and Voss Gardsslakteri, a butcher’s shop where they manufacture high-quality meat products. Focusing on animal wellbeing and “untraveled meat”, they promise you will taste the difference in quality.
Our guide takes you on a hike that follows an old, hidden path up the steep, forested hills towards Grettestølen. Along the way we take short detour to marvel at the view of the Raundalen valley entrance, with its impressive river gorge. During the hike you will learn about the traditional ways of farming in close relations with the surrounding nature.
Arriving at Grettestølen, Inger Marie welcomes us and shows us around. She works as a milkmaid during the summer months, tending and milking the cows. The cows are likely to present themselves, too. Inger Marie will explain to us some of the old mountain farming traditions of producing butter and sour cream. At Grettestølen, these old traditions are brought back to life by combining old skills and modern tools.
Lunch is served in the old log cabin. You can tell that the old log walls of the living room have endured for centuries, providing a unique atmosphere for our delicious meal. We get to sample several of the Selheim Gard meat products, as well as some traditional dairy that Inger Marie has made. This meal has both a heart and soul!
The way back to Selheim will either follow the path we took on the way up, or the easier trail leading to the gravel road back down to the valley. Another variation on the return is to hike down into the Raundalen valley, for a scenic round trip.
Good to know
- Meeting point:"Tre Brør" cafeteria at 9.30am, see map HERE
- Duration: 5-6 hours, including transport
- Please wear solid hiking shoes or hiking boots, waterproof clothing (shell layer) and beanie or knit cap
- Please bring: a small rucksack (20 litres), sunglasses, sun lotion, extra t-shirt and sweater, snacks or packed lunch, water bottle, swimwear and a towel (optional). Trekking poles are recommended.
- The price includes: Train tickets from/to Voss. An experienced guide during your whole trip. A meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks, prepared on a stove. All necessary safety equipment. Transportation from Voss to the starting point and back to Voss after the trip. Access to warm clothing such as gloves, beanies, woolen sweaters and socks. Guided tour at Grettestølen.
- This trip is suitable for healthy people with some hiking experience
- Minimum age: 8 years
Enjoy your tour!