Hike to Breiskrednosi and Rimstigen
The Nærøyfjord is one of the most spectacular fjords of western Norway. Snowy mountains loom high above this narrow strip of greenish blue water, shedding meltwater in cascades down the sheer cliffs. The unique natural scenery and cultural landscape has granted this region a well earned spot on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites.
From Breiskrednosi, you get to experience this beautiful scenery from a unique perspective, 1189 meters above the fjord.
Rimstigen is an ancient trail used by the farmers of the Nærøyfjord to reach their mountain pastures in the summer. It is steep and short and brings you from wonders to wonders. We start our hike at sea-level and ascend a steep forested mountainside. The path takes us close to the beautiful waterfall of Tufteelvi. 700 meters above sea level we arrive at a Garden-of-Eden-like hanging valley: Rimstigbotnen. By now, we’ve got the Nærøyfjord far below us, and get to enjoy a welcome break from the steep uphill. This is definitely a good spot for a break.
The path continues above the treeline to the lake called Skarsvotni. We cross the lake outlet by jumping from one rock to another and begin the ascent up to the mountain plateau of Rimstigfjellet. Having reached the plateau, Breiskrednosi pops into view as we round a low hill. Luckily, we don’t have to negotiate the steep south face of the mountain. The normal route to the top follows a safe and technically easy ridge. At the top we cherish the marvellous view and enjoy a well-earned rest. We return to Bakka the same route we followed going up, hoping our knees and hips don’t mind the strain of the steep downhills. As a bonus treat, we might get to enjoy the fjord views in a warm afternoon light.
Route alternative: Breiskrednosi from Breidalen
After an hour’s drive from Voss, we’ve passed through the lovely Jordalen valley and reached the mountain farm called Breidalen. This is where we start our walk, following an unmarked path east towards the watershed above Nærøyfjorden. We gain altitude towards Vardane, then continue across Rimstigfjellet towards the increasingly prominent Breiskrednosi. From its top, we enjoy an unforgettable moment of airy exposure! After absorbing the magnificent view from Breiskrednosi, we head back towards Breidalen, retracing our own route.
Good to know
- Meeting point:"Tre Brør" cafeteria at 8.30am, see map HERE
- Duration: 11 hours, including 2 hrs transport
- Please wear solid hiking shoes or hiking boots, waterproof clothing (shell layer) and beanie or knit cap
- Please bring: a small rucksack (20 litres), sunglasses, sun lotion, extra t-shirt and sweater, snacks or packed lunch, water bottle, swimwear and a towel (optional). Trekking poles are recommended.
- The price includes. An experienced guide during your whole trip. A meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks. All necessary safety equipment. Transportation from Voss to the starting point and back to Voss after the trip. Access to warm clothing such as gloves, beanies, woolen sweaters and socks
- This trip is suitable for fit, healthy people with hiking experience.This hike crosses rough high-mountain terrain. Inclement weather, including snow showers, are to be expected even during summer
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Bakka – Rimstigen round trip: 3 – Moderate
- Bakka – Breiskrednosi round trip: 5 – Expert
Enjoy your tour!