Hike to Kiellandbu from Voss
Picture yourself wandering through misty mountain valleys, along a crystal clear river and across wooden bridges. In the distance, a raven sends its gloomy call across the mountains.
After a steep uphill, you enter flat grounds of grass and moss. The fog suddenly lifts, and in front of you lies a small cabin, spectacularly placed near the edge of a cliff. Behind it you catch a glimpse of a narrow fjord, and near the horison: a perfectly white glacier. Welcome to Kiellandbu, a place of mountain magic!
You meet and greet at "Tre Brør" cafeteria in Voss. A car will take you to the starting point of our hike to Kiellandbu. The drive takes approximately 30 minutes, passing through pleasant scenery on the way.
The hiking tour starts near Hodnaberg Powerplant, close to the lake called Hamlagrøvatnet. This means that you are in the mountains right from the start. At first we follow a gravel road southwards, gaining altitude. Then we exit onto a marked path that forks near Kvålsdalstjørni.
We cross a sway bridge with a crystal clear river underneath, then follow the path south through Hardingaskardet. Traversing steeply up the hill towards Sveindalseggi, we can enjoy the increasingly wild scenery around us. We arrive at Kiellandbu after about 2,5 hours. Here we enjoy our lunch and marvel at the amazing view.
On the return trip we either follow the same path back to Hodnaberg, or traverse Sveindalsnuten (1065) to enjoy the views. Maybe you fancy a swim in a cool, clear mountain lake?
Good to know
- Meeting point:"Tre Brør" cafeteria at 9.30am, see map HERE
- Duration: 7 hours, including 1hr transport
- Please wear solid hiking shoes or hiking boots, waterproof clothing (shell layer) and beanie or knit cap
- Please bring: a small rucksack (20 litres), sunglasses, sun lotion, extra t-shirt and sweater, snacks or packed lunch, water bottle, swimwear and a towel (optional). Trekking poles are recommended.
- The price includes: An experienced guide during your whole trip. A meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks, prepared on a stove. All necessary safety equipment. Transportation from Voss to the starting point and back to Voss after the trip. Access to warm clothing such as gloves, beanies, woolen sweaters and socks
- This trip is suitable for healthy people with some hiking experience
- Minimum age: 9 years
Enjoy your tour!