Winter Tour to Trolltunga
- Winter Adventures
- Mountain & Glaciers
Trolltunga is one of Norway's most spectacular, and photographed places. The rock formation hanging 1,100 meters over the Ringdalsvatnet lake is, literarily, a breathtaking view. In winter this place is even more fascinating, and going on a winter hike to Trolltunga is an experience of a lifetime!
This year you are invited on a winter hiking tour to Trolltunga, to explore a new season, join in on a unique hiking adventure! Led by professional guides, you'll get to safely explore a natural wonder at its most tranquil and awe-inspiring.
The tour starts from Skjeggedal. In the midst of darkness, the group hikes with headlamps up the Brakufsi path to Topp. Then the steep hillside up Gryteskar, the highest peak of the tour.
This late in the year, weather conditions are constantly changing. If needed, the guide will help adjust the equipment you use (ice spikes, snowshoes, etc.) in accordance with the changing conditions.
It’s a tough 7 km start, and we will have several stops where you get the opportunity to catch your breath. And to snap photos of the spectacular nature surrounding you. From Gryteskar you'll get a perfect view towards the Folgefonna glacier. The hike continues with 7 km in easier terrain. This is the scenic part of the tour, being overwhelmed by impressing viewpoints towards the Ringedalen lake and the Hardangervidda national park, makes this part of the hike like a “scenic walk in the park”.
You will arrive at Trolltunga around 13.00. At this time of year, you will have the Trolltunga almost for yourself. You can really enjoy the peace and tranquility of being in the mountain and standing at Trolltunga.
During the afternoon, the light changes, the daylight disappears, maybe into a colorful sunset, the blue hour, and then total darkness. And it's on with the headlamps again. The day ends with a magical walk in the dark, maybe a clear sky, stars, and a white full moon. Or, with rain, fog, and wind. The weather conditions at this time of year will guarantee you a special moment filled with splendid contrast.
- Meeting point at the Trolltunga Active store in Skjeggedal (Click here to see map). Please be there at least 15 minutes before your starting time
- Duration: 10 - 12 hours
- Age limit: 15 years
- The price includes: Snowshoes, hiking poles and a professional nature guide
- At 21:00 the day before your tour, it will be held an information meeting at the Trolltunga Hotel in Odda. Your guide will inform you about the hike, equipment needed, weather forecast, and more.
What should I bring?
- On your body:
- Wool socks and woolen thermals
- Wind jacket/pants recommended Gore-Tex
- Running gloves, cap, and good winter boots.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen (the sun takes much more when you walk on snow compared to by the water)
- A 40-liter backpack with:
- Beanie/hat that covers your ears
- Warm gloves/mittens
- Dry wool socks
- Extra warm clothes (Use wool, it continues to keep you warm after you get wet)
- Food for 10-12 hours
- 1.5-liter water/drink
- Some snacks/chocolate
During winter the weather at Hardangervidda mountain plateau can be rough. It's important that you are prepared according to the equipment list, and prepare with training in forehand for a hike of 10-12 hours.