Guided Glacier Walk on the Tystig Glacier
- Mountain & Glaciers
Enjoy a guided glacier tour on the Tystig Glacier where you can truly enjoy the magnificent Norwegian scenery. Explore and have lunch on top of the glacier!
The Tystig glacier has a truly magnificent location offering spectacular views in all directions. We offer a glacier walk with an experienced guide that is suitable for anyone comfortable with basic mountain hiking.
On this tour, you meet your guide at Stryn Summerski Resort where you will get a short briefing and get ready for the trip. Your trip starts by taking the chairlift up the mountain. The lift carries you up through dramatic scenery, and for each minute the view gets increasingly breathtaking.
In every direction, there is something spectacular to see, such as the Mt. Lodalskaapa (2083 m), Oppstrynsvatnet Lake in the Strynedalen Valley, and the plateau of the great Jostedal Glacier – the largest glacier on mainland Europe.
After leaving the chairlift, the walk towards the glacier front, or the start of the glacier, takes us about 45 minutes. You might be walking on glacier ice, or winter snow, depending on nature's whims The walk includes about 250 altitude meters on a slightly challenging path, so you should be fairly comfortable with mountain hiking.
As you reach the glacier you gear up with crampons/snowshoes, harness, ice ax/hiking poles, and ropes. The glacier walk lasts about 2-3 hours and you and your guide will be exploring the ice in a safe manner. The condition on the ice may be blue ice, or ice with snow on the surface (this depends on the amount of snow we get in the winter). The guide will share his local knowledge with you, as well as basic geology/ glaciology.
One of the highlights of the trip is the lunch break, which you will have on the glacier. Few people can say that they’ve had lunch on a glacier, surrounded by such breathtaking views!
The walk back down to the chair lift takes about 45 minutes and the chairlift transports you back to your starting point at the bottom.
- Meeting place: At the parking lot at Stryn Summerski Resort, located at Stryn Mountain, Road 15, east, see map here. Please be there 15 minutes before your booked time.
- Transport from Stryn to Stryn Summerski Resort can be arranged for a small additional fee. Please contact the provider directly at email@example.com to arrange transport min. 3 days prior to the Glacier walk.
- Duration: Approx. 7 hours in total
- The minimum age is 12 years
- Included: Guiding, the ticket to the chairlift, and all necessary equipment
- Please note that food is not included
- We recommend that you bring:
- A packed lunch and enough water/drink for the duration of the trip (we usually have 30-minute lunch on the glacier)
- Snacks (chocolate, nuts, etc is always a good thing to have in the pockets)
- Suitable clothing according to the weather. Water and windproof clothing is always good to have in Norway
- Good shoes or mountain boots and gloves (we have gloves for guests that forgot their own gloves)
This tour requires a minimum of 5 participants, but do not hesitate to book online if you are less than 5 people. In case that the supplier won't get enough participants within 7:00pm the day prior to departure/your booked date, they will contact you by email.
Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or canceled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or cancel your order. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your tour, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.
Welcome to a stress-free day, where you can truly enjoy the magnificent Norwegian scenery!