Pulpit Rock Winter & Spring Hike
We invite you to experience a unique Preikestolen hiking adventure! Hike in near-solitude while encountering breathtaking views of Preikestolen and the Lysefjord, which are often blanketed in snow this time of year. The trip also includes a Swords in Rock monument visit!
Grab the chance to beat the crowds and enjoy Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) and the Lysefjord during Norway´s pre-season serenity. This early in the year, weather conditions are constantly changing and the trail is often covered with snow and ice. Winter’s ice and snow often last well into springtime. As needed, you’ll adjust the equipment (ice spikes, etc.) you use to match the changes in terrain.
Along the way, there will be opportunities to catch your breath, enjoy a warm beverage, and snap photos of the spectacular nature around you. After 2.5-3.5 hours* of trekking, you’ll be rewarded with a panoramic view of some of the most dramatic scenery Fjord-Norway has to offer.
Standing atop the 604-meter-high cliff, the views of the Lysefjord and surrounding mountains are nothing short of awe-inspiring. You’ll be one of the very few that have experienced Preikestolen off-season.
After the trip wel will stop by Preikestolen Mountain Lodge to enjoy freshly-baked bread and a well-deserved (and delicious!) bowl of homemade soup (not offered in January).
On our return to Stavanger, we will make a photo-stop at the Swords in Rock monument. The three swords symbolise the unification of Norway and commemorates the Viking battle of 872, won by King Harald Fairhair.
Good to know
- Meeting place: Stavanger Tourist Information, see map HERE. Please be there 10 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 8-9 hours, depending on time of year and weather
- Transportation: Approx. 1 hour (each way)
- Hiking: Approx. 5 hours (including breaks)
- Minimum age is 8 years. Children from 8 - 15, adults from 16 years
- The price includes: Transportation, a professional guide, use of hiking poles and other necessary equipment, hot beverages & snack
- Please bring/wear:
- Proper hiking boots and warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants and a rain-proof jacket
- Fleece or woollen sweater, warm hat and gloves
- A packed lunch, extra water and snacks
- A small backpack for the items mentioned above
The distance of this tour is 8 kilometers with an ascent of 500 meters and this hiking trip is suitable for people who are generally in good physical condition and have some previous hiking experience. Please do not book this tour if it exceeds your skill-level or physical abilities.
Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or cancelled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.
Have a nice hike to the Pulpit Rock!