Glacier kayaking and hiking at Folgefonna
Join in on a unique adventure and see the Folgefonna glacier up close! Paddle in a kayak on a glacier lake and hike the blue ice of the Folgefonna glacier!
Glacier kayaking and hiking at Folgefonna takes you on an adventure on the beautiful Folgefonna Glacier, 850 meters above sea level! You meet your guide outside the tourist office in Rosendal (Folgefonn Center) at the Rosendal Dock, where you and your guide do a quick equipment check. A car will then take you from Rosendal to the starting point at 850 meters above sea level. The car ride takes about 40 minutes.
The trip starts with a kayak tour for about 2,5 km on a glacier lake and you will be equipped with dry suits, as the water is very cold. If lucky, there are icebergs in the lake on your way from starting point to the Møsevass Glacier (arm of Folgefonna). The scenery of blue ice coming into the lake is powerful; no one can stop the ice on its way to the lake.
After paddling for a while, we leave the kayaks on a beach nearby the glacier and have a lunch break. After lunch, we find the glacier equipment and we are ready for a fairy-tale on the blue ice. We go for a calm hike on the ice for sensing all elements or we do a real ice-climbing adventure, this depends on your wishes and the ice conditions.
After the glacier hike we paddle back to the car and drive back to Rosendal. This is a full-day adventure including safety introduction, kayaking and a blue ice trip. All necessary equipment including dry-suit and all glacier equipment are included. Maximum 4 person's pr. guide, to ensure every individuals needs.
Good to know
- Meeting point: Outside tourist office in Rosendal (Folgefonn Center)
- Duration: 8 hours
- Minimum age: 15 years
- We recommend bringing wool underwear, and warm/wind/water proof clothing, mountain boots and gloves, sunglasses and sun lotion. Your clothes can get wet if you are unlucky and turn over; so please bring an extra set of clothes for changing if needed. You should also bring a towel. No warm shower is available.
- We provide all necessary kayaking equipment, and glacier equipment (crampons, harness, helmet, ice axe and ropes)
- Lunch is not included in the tour, so please bring a packed lunch
- The total paddle tour is about 5 km, while the glacier hike is about 2-5 km
Mountain boots are provided if needed for no extra cost, wind/water proof clothing can be rented for 150 NOK pr. person and lunch packet can be provided for 250 NOK pr. person. Please inform us by e-mail in advance if you require any of this firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment for extras upon arrival.
Getting to Rosendal from Bergen
Bergen is the closest major city to Rosendal. Either public or private transportation is easy and fast. Public alternatives are the express boat “Hardangerfjord Express” leaving from downtown harbor or the bus line 760/761 leaving from Bergen central bus station. Please note that return transport to/from Rosendal by boat is only available on Thursdays and Fridays. By car the fastest route is approximately 2 hours 30 minutes including one ferry crossing.
Have a nice trip!