Via Ferrata Loen
Climb the Via Ferrata Loen to the top of Mt. Hoven - an exciting challenge in spectacular scenery! On the trip you cross the longest Via Ferrata bridge in Europe!
Via Ferrata Loen starts at the Loen Active shop and takes you up to Mt. Hoven (1011 m.). During your trip you will enjoy fantastic views of beautiful mountains, glaciers and fjords.
What is a Via Ferrata?
The name Via Ferrata comes from Italy, where they built "iron roads" in the mountains during the first world war. The essence of a modern via ferrata is a steel cable which runs along the route and is periodically (every 3 to 10 metres) fixed to the rock. Using a via ferrata kit the climber can secure themselves to the cable, avoiding any fall.
The longest Via Ferrata bridge in Europe
The Gjølmunnebridge is 120 meters long and crosses a 160 meter deep canyon. The bridge opened in August 2013 and is located at 750 meters above sea level. The only way to get to the Gjølmunnebridge is by climbing the Via Ferrata Loen. The walk across will definitely give you butterflies!
On the trip you can also cross the new Gjølmunnestring bridge (optional), which was built in June 2015. This bridge consists of only three wires and is 36 meters long.
Facts about the Via Ferrata Loen trip
- From starting point: Forrest road to an altitude of 170 metres
- From an altitude of 170 metres to 440 metres: Path through steep terrain
- Walking time on forrest road and path: 1 to 1 1/2 hours
- Altitude at start of Via Ferrata: 440 metres
- Top of Via Ferrata: altitude of 880 - 900 metres
- Climbing metres: 950 metres
- Wire length: 850 metres
- Mt. Hoven: Altitude of 1.011 metres
- Return to Loen with the Loen Skylift is included
Good to know
- Meeting place: At Loen Active, just beside the bus stop and Hotel Alexandra. Please be there 10 min. before booked time
- Duration: 6-8 hours
- Age limit: 12 years
- A certified and experienced guide/instructor will instruct and follow you. Safety information will be provided before departure
- Bring food, a big bottle of water or soft drinks (1 1/5 liters)
- Wear solid hiking shoes or boots
- Bring gloves, a windproof jacket, long trousers, buff and warm clothes when cold weather
- Some equipment can be rented on site (hiking shoes, gloves etc.)
- Grading: Expert. You will have to be in good physical shape and confident with heights to go on this climbing trip
Enjoy your trip!