Via Ferrata Loen
- Mountain & Glaciers
Climb the Via Ferrata Loen to the top of Mt. Hoven (1011 m.) - an exciting challenge in spectacular scenery!
The name Via Ferrata comes from Italy, where they built "iron roads" in the mountains during the first world war and these are the essence of a modern via ferrata
You meet up with your guide at Loen Active´base where you will be provided with the necessary equipment and safety instructions. The guide is certified for Via Ferrara tours and will be with you throughout the tour.
On the tour, you will go on a climbing trail containing a steel cable which runs along the route and is periodically fixed to the rock. Using a Via Ferrata kit, you can secure yourselves to the cable, avoiding any fall.
During the trip, you cross the longest Via Ferrata bridge in Europe! The Gjølmunnebridge is 120 meters long and crosses a 160-meter deep canyon. The bridge opened in August 2013 and is located at 750 meters above sea level. The only way to get to the Gjølmunnebridge is by climbing the Via Ferrata Loen. The walk across will definitely give you butterflies in your tummy!
On the tour, you can also cross the new Gjølmunnestring bridge (optional), which was built in June 2015. This bridge consists of only three wires and is 36 meters long.
Safely at the top of Mount Hoven, you will be rewarded with a stunning view of Lodalen, Oldedalen, Loen, Skåla, and the mountains toward the Jostedalsbreen Glacier.
After you have enjoyed the unbeatable view, you will be transported back to the center of Loen by Loen Skylift, a trip that offers spectacular views of the Nordfjord and the fantastic mountains!
- Meeting place: At Loen Active, just beside the bus stop and Hotel Alexandra, see map HERE. Please be there 30 min. before booked time
- Bring food, a big bottle of water, or soft drinks (1 1/5 liters)
- Wear solid hiking shoes or boots
- Bring gloves, a windproof jacket, long trousers, buff, and warm clothes when cold weather
- Some equipment can be rented on site (hiking shoes, gloves, etc.)
- Grading: Expert. You will have to be in good physical shape and confident with heights to go on this climbing trip
- Age limit: 12 years
Enjoy your trip!