Kjerag Summer Hike
Join in on a early-morning summer hike to the famous Kjerag boulder and beat the crowds. Relax and savor the views while you’re transported by fjord cruise (included). During the hike, you will experience stunning views of the spectacular Lysefjord.
Kjerag's famous boulder is a glacial rock that is wedged in a mountain crevasse, 984 meters above Lysefjord.
Your journey begins early-morning with a spectacular fjord cruise at Lysefjorden, surrounded by steep mountain walls towering hundreds of meters above the fjord. The fjord cruise will pass waterfalls, abandoned farms, and the famous Preikestolen cliff.
You will hike in a small group, and the trail to Kjerag boulder makes up a demanding 11-kilometer hike, which takes 6 hours in total (roundtrip). The trail is recently upgraded by Sherpas from Nepal and includes significant changes in terrain, and three steep hills separated by shallow valleys.
Once you reach the edge of the mountain’s plateau, while standing on a 1000-meter-high cliff, you will be rewarded with panoramic views of the 42-kilometer-long Lysefjord. Cliff-side, you’ll have plenty of time to rest and enjoy your packed lunch. If you’re among the brave, you’ll have the opportunity to stand atop the Kjerag boulder! Base-jumping is legal in Norway, so if you’re lucky, you’ll also get to watch as daredevils hurdle themselves off the side of the cliff.
After the lunch break, the friendly guide will lead you back down to the Eagle’s Nest. On the drive back to Stavanger, the guide will navigate over a mountain pass through the municipality of Sirdal. You’ll pass through a barren, glacier-scoured landscape that many experiences as being moon-like.
- Meeting place: Clarion Hotel Stavanger, see map here. Please be there 10 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 11 - 12 hours, depending on time of year and weather
- Transportation: Approx. 1,5 hour + 2,5 hours
- Fjord cruise: Approx. 1 hour
- Hiking: Approx. 6 hours (including breaks)
- The price includes: Transportation, a professional guide, use of hiking poles, hot beverages & snack, 1-hour fjord cruise (except on Saturdays)
- Please bring/wear:
- Proper hiking boots and warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants and a rain-proof jacket
- Fleece or woolen sweater, warm hat and gloves
- Water / extra snacks or food
- A small backpack for the items mentioned above
- Please note that on Saturdays, the ferry does not run and we will drive around the mountains. On Sundays, the trip’s itinerary is reversed: instead of at the start of the day, you’ll cruise through the Lysefjord during the afternoon, before traveling back to Stavanger.
- The distance of this tour is 11 kilometers with an ascent of 800 meters and this hiking trip is suitable for adults who are in very good condition, and also have previous hiking experience. Please do not book this tour if it exceeds your skill-level or physical abilities.
- Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or canceled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.