Forest to fjord nature walk in Oslo
Perched hundreds of meters above Oslo and its fjord, the wilderness of Oslo is an amazing get-away from the city, for those in search of peace and quiet. You will walk from one amazing view point to another, ending at a forest lake perfect for a swim.
What to Expect
Experience Europe's largest urban forest, taking in a variety of sites from traditional wooden buildings, hilltop view points, pristine lakes and enough berries to last an entire holiday! The tour begins with a stunning metro ride up the hills, starting at sea level and ending nearly 500 meters above the city and fjord below. The first stop is the Holmenkollen ski jump, the spiritual home to Nordic winter sports. It is one of the most popular and best-rated sites in Oslo for a reason, leaving most tourists stunned by the scale of the jump and the views it affords.
From there, the hiking begins, climbing through the Oslo "marka", a dense forest with a couple of thousand kilometers of hiking paths. In under 30 minutes, the tour arrives at Frognerseteren, a historic collection of 19th century wooden buildings which typify Norwegian rural architecture. The views will amaze, the interior of the building will inspire and the food at the café will be easy on your wallet. Pick up a picnic lunch here as the tour will stop at a view point in 30 minutes time for lunch.
Dirt paths, rocky passages and deep forest await during the next part of the tour, making your way to the view point of Vettakollen, a "locals only" destination for one of the best views in all of Oslo. This stop is perfect for a panoramic lunch. After lunch, continue through the forest until arriving at the shores of Sognsvann, one of Oslo's prettiest lakes and perfect for a swim. Water temperatures range from 18-24 degrees (66-78 fahrenheit) in the summer, so bring a towel and swim wear. After the swim, it is back down to the city, on a different metro line, with more great views as the tour returns to civilization ending in the city center on the main street of Karl Johans Gate.
What You'll Do
- Take in the amazing views of the city and fjord below, with a bird's eye perspective nearly 500 meters above Oslo
- Experience the silence and peacefullness of Europe's largest urban forest, a true oasis of nature
- Marvel at the Holmenkollen ski jump, crowning the city on this site for nearly 150 years
- Swim at a forest lake, just one of more than 300 lakes in the Oslo forest
Good to know
- Meeting Point: The Viking Biking Shop in Nedre Slottsgate 4, 0157 Oslo. Please be there 15 minutes before departure
- A guide will be with you during the tour
- Water, ponchos, and maps and available to purchase in the shop
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Not Included:
- Public transport ticket (available for purchase at the shop before the tour)
- Drinks (available for purchase at the shop before the tour)
- Food (available for purchase at the Frognerseteren café along the tour route)
- Rain gear
Participants are encouraged to carry a backpack for their swimwear, towel, water and food for a picnic lunch. Water and food can be purchased during the tour as an alternative.