Viking & Beaches bike tour in Oslo
Cycle through a thousand years of Viking history followed by an idyllic stop along the same coastline the Vikings used to sail. This private 4-hour bicycle tour in Oslo takes you to the stunning Bygdøy peninsula with a stop at the Viking Ship Museum.
Oslo has one of the richest maritime histories of any city in Europe, dating from the Viking period more than 1,000 years ago up until the present day redevelopment of the downtown pedestrian port area. Thanks to bike paths and secluded forest trails along the coast, cycling is the best way to discover Oslo and its breathtaking fjord.
This 4-hour bike tour avoids the traffic, buses, and crowds to give you a real experience of Oslo's connection to the sea.
The 2 highlights of this tour are Vikings and beaches! The tour includes a stop at the Viking Ship Museum (entrance fee included), home to the world's best preserved Viking artifacts including 1,200-year-old sea-worthy ships found buried along the Oslofjord. After learning about the Viking history, you can experience the Oslofjord for yourself. A quick cycle down to the beach and you are overlooking the same waters that the Vikings sailed a millennium ago.
On a nice summer day, don't forget your swim wear and a towel. Surprisingly, Oslo has some of the warmest coastal waters in Europe aside from the Mediterranean Sea, reaching the low 20s Celsius (70s Fahrenheit). The water is clean and clear, and you will stop at the Huk beach with its sandy beach, grassy knolls, and craggy rocks affording unforgettable views of the city, the numerous islands dotting the fjord, and the hills rising above the entire landscape.
On your way back to the city, you will take the fjord bike path, hugging the coastline with no worries of cars or traffic. The final stop is at the modern port redevelopment of Aker Brygge and Tjuvholmen, known for its museums, shopping, and fantastic views of the medieval Akershus Castle perched above the port.
This tour requires an intermediate fitness level but no special biking experience. You will spend most of the time on bike paths, forest trails, parks, and car-free zones. You can relax and enjoy the wonderful scenery and history that this exciting tour has to offer!
What You'll Do
- Visit the Viking Ship Museum and admire the world's best preserved Viking artifacts
- Learn about the history of Oslo from the Viking period to the present day
- Explore Oslo’s beaches, with some of the warmest waters and most stunning preserved coastline of any city in Northern Europe
- Cycle along secluded paths along the coast and through the forest, all part of the Royal Family’s farm
- Admire the traditional architecture of the Bygdøy peninsula, with some of Oslo’s best historic wooden homes
- Ride along the Oslofjord bike path, with uninterrupted views over the maritime landscape of Oslo
- Bike rental
- Other accessories if needed (poncho, gloves, lights, etc.)
- Entrance to the Viking Ship Museum
Good to know
- Meeting point: Viking Biking shop at Nedre Slottsgate 4, located between the main shopping street of Karl Johans Gate and the medieval Akershus Castle. Please be there 15 minutes before booked time. After the tour guests are returned to the original departure point
- Included: A professional guide and use of a bike and helmet. The guide will provide safety instructions at the beginning of the tour
- Water, rain ponchos and maps are available for purchase at the shop
- Toilet facilities are available for customers
- Minimum age: 12 years