Glacier guiding on the Tystig Glacier
Enjoy a guided glacier tour on the Tystig Glacier where you can truly enjoy the magnificent Norwegian scenery!
On this trip the meeting point is by the parking lot of the Stryn summerski resort. You should be there at least 15 minutes before your agreed-upon time.
Before departing from the parking lot we get ready for the trip and then take a seat in the chairlift up towards the mountains. The lift takes us up through dramatic scenery, and for each minute the view gets increasingly breathtaking.
The walk up to the glacier takes us about 45 minutes in average, and it includes about 250 altitude meters on a slightly challenging path, so you should be used to walking to join this trip. As we reach the glacier we gear up with helmets, crampons, harness, ice axe and ropes.
The walking on the glacier about 2-3 hours. We’ll be exploring the ice in a safe manner. The condition on the ice may be blue ice, or ice with snow on the surface (this depends on the amount of snow we get in the winter). The guide will share local knowledge with you, as well as basic geology/ glaciology. The highlight of the trip is the lunchtime, that we have ON the glacier.
Few people can say that they’ve had lunch on a glacier, surrounded by breathtaking views. In every direction there’s something spectacular to see, such as the Mount Lodalskaapa (2083 meters), Lake Oppstryn all the way down at 28 meters and the plateau of the Jostedalsglacier (the largest glacier on mainland Europa) and glacier 1650 meters above sea level.
The walk back down towards the chair lift should take us about 45 minutes.
- Bring a packed lunch (we usually have 30-minute lunch to eat on the glacier)
- Bring something to drink and snacks (chocolate, nuts, etc is always a good thing to have in the pockets)
- Wear Suitable clothing according to the weather. Water and windproof is always good to have in Norway
- Mountain boots are recommended (we also have shoes to borrow free of charge)
- Wear gloves (We have gloves for guests that forgot their own gloves free of charge)
- Remember to bring your camera!
You must book in advance in order to ensure that you have a place in the rope team. We focus on a stress free day, where we truly enjoy the magnificent Norwegian scenery!