Kjerag Autumn Hike
- Mountain & Glaciers
Join in on an autumn hike to the Kjerag boulder, and witness the magic of the season’s shifting colors and Norway’s crisp and cool mountain air. During the hike, you will experience stunning views of the spectacular Lysefjord!
If you want to experience the best of Lysefjorden and Western Norway, a hike to Kjerag boulder should definitely be on your bucket list. Kjerag's famous boulder is a glacial rock that is wedged in a mountain crevasse, 984 meters above Lysefjord. Maybe you dare to stand on it?
A friendly guide will pick you up in Stavanger at the meeting point, and transfer you to the hiking trail, which takes about 2.5 hours. During Autumn, weather conditions can be unstable. As needed, the guide will adjust your equipment (ice spikes, etc.) to match the weather conditions.
You will hike in a small group, and the trail to Kjerag boulder makes up a demanding 11-kilometer hike, which takes 6 hours in total (roundtrip). The trail includes significant changes in terrain, and three steep hills separated by shallow valleys. Sherpas from Nepal have recently upgraded the trail with local stones and made overcoming the final (and steepest) slope a little easier.
Once you reach the edge of the mountain’s plateau, while standing on a 1000-meter-high cliff, you will be rewarded with panoramic views of the 42-kilometer-long Lysefjord. Cliff-side, you’ll have plenty of time to rest and enjoy your packed lunch. If you’re among the brave, you’ll have the opportunity to stand atop the Kjerag boulder!
After your lunch break, the guide will lead you back down to the Eagle’s Nest. On your way back to Stavanger, get onboard a fjord cruise at majestic Lysefjorden, surrounded by steep mountain walls towering hundreds of meters above the fjord. You will pass waterfalls, abandoned farms, and the famous Preikestolen cliff.
- Meeting place: Clarion Hotel Stavanger, see map here. Please be there 10 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 11 - 12 hours, depending on time of year and weather
- Hiking: Approx. 6 hours (including breaks)
- Fjord cruise: 1 hour
- Transportation: 1,5 + 2,5 hours
- The price includes: Transportation, a professional guide, use of hiking poles and equipment, hot beverages & snack
- Please bring/wear:
- Proper hiking boots and warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants and a rain-proof jacket
- Fleece or woolen sweater, warm hat and gloves
- Water / extra snacks or food
- A small backpack for the items mentioned above
- The distance of this tour is 11 kilometers with an ascent of 800 meters and this hiking trip is suitable for adults who are in very good condition, and also have previous hiking experience. Please do not book this tour if it exceeds your skill-level or physical abilities.
- Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or cancelled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.
- Note that on Saturdays, and between Oct. 14 – 18, the speed ferry does not run. On these dates, you will be driven around the mountains in both directions.