Pulpit Rock Hike - Off the Beaten Track
Are you up for an unforgettable hiking adventure? Avoid the crowds by joining in on the "off the beaten track" hike and enjoy a unique Preikestolen experience! Hike in near-solitude while encountering out of this world views of Preikestolen and the Lysefjord – which only a few have seen.
Hike an alternative and hidden route to Pulpit Rock, also called Preikestolen, a cliff that hangs 604 meters over the Lysefjord. From atop nature’s ‘pulpit’, guests enjoy panoramic views of some of the most dramatic scenery Norway has to offer.
Your adventure will begin with a 45-minute canoeing paddle across a peaceful mountain lake. Once you have your feet back on dry land, you’ll begin the hiking portion of the tour.
In the first part of the hike, you’ll follow a backcountry, unmarked trail that is overgrown and has mostly been forgotten. Once you hike above the tree-line, the trail ceases to exist altogether, and the remaining hike is therefore comprised of off-trail hiking & scrambling. During this portion of the hike, you’ll experience out-of-this-world and rarely-seen views of Preikestolen and the Lysefjord.
After lunch and approximately 3,5 hours on foot, you’ll reach a location that offers panoramic views of Preikestolen that the majority of people only get to see in tourist brochures. You’ll hike down to Preikestolen and experience standing atop the impressive plateau, which towers 604 meters above sea level. There, you’ll get to view the 1000 meter-high mountain walls surrounding the 42-kilometer-long Lysefjord from a new perspective. After the break, you’ll begin the long descent back to civilization. Along the way, you’ll walk on man-made mountain stairway paths, made by Nepalese sherpas. Once back at the trailhead, your guide will transport you back to Stavanger.
- Meeting place: Clarion Hotel Stavanger, see map here. Please be there 10 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 9 hours, depending on time of year and weather
- Distance from Stavanger by car: Approx. 1 hour (each way)
- Hiking: Approx. 7 hours (including breaks)
- Briefing & canoeing: Approx. 1 hour
- The price includes: Transportation, a professional guide, canoe equipment, use of hiking poles, hot beverages & snack
- Please bring/wear:
- Proper hiking boots and warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants and a rain-proof jacket
- Fleece or woolen sweater, warm hat and gloves
- A packed lunch, extra water and snacks
- A small backpack for the items mentioned above
- The distance of this tour is 9.5 kilometers, with an ascent of 600 meters. This is a more difficult hike, suitable for people who are in very good physical condition and have previous hiking experience in mountainous terrain and on unsteady surfaces. Please do not book this tour if it exceeds your skill-level or physical abilities.
- Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or canceled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.