Pulpit Rock - Off the beaten track hike
Avoid the crowds by joining in on the "off the beaten track" hike and enjoy a unique Preikestolen experience! Hike in near-solitude while encountering out of this world views of Preikestolen and the Lysefjord – which only few have seen.
After you have been picked up in Stavanger, you start your tour by crossing the Refsvatn lake by canoe, a trip which takes about 30 minutes. As you disembark on the other side of the lake, your real adventure begins by starting the hike up to the Pulpit Rock.
During 70% of the hike, you’ll follow off-the-map trails which are overgrown and have (almost) been forgotten. These trails are rarely used and the cairns that lead the way through dense forests are difficult to find.
Once above the tree-line, the trail completely disappears: the remaining 30% of the hike is thus comprised of off-trail hiking & scrambling.
During this portion of the hike, you’ll experience out-of-this-world and rarely-seen views of Preikestolen and the Lysefjord. After about 3,5 hours on foot, you’ll reach a viewpoint above Preikestolen that the majority of others only get to see in tourist brochures.
You will then hike down to Preikestolen and enjoy a well-deserved break atop the impressive plateau that towers 604 meters above sea level. There, you’ll get to view the 1000 meter-high mountain walls surrounding the 42 kilometer-long Lysefjord from a new perspective.
At that point, as you begin the descent back down to civilization, you’ll start by joining the masses of people who are following the main trail away from Preikestolen. The hike down will take approximately 2 hours, from where you will be transported back to your starting point in Stavanger.
Good to know
- Meeting place: Stavanger Tourist Information, see map here. Please be there 10 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 9 hours, depending on time of year and weather
- Transportation: Approx. 1 hour (each way)
- Hiking: Approx. 7 hours (including breaks)
- Briefing & canoeing: Approx. 1 hour
- Minimum age is 10 years. Children from 10 - 15, adults from 16 years
- The price includes: Transportation, a professional guide, canoe equipment, use of hiking poles, hot beverages & snack
- Please bring/wear:
- Proper hiking boots and warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants and a rain-proof jacket
- Fleece or woollen sweater, warm hat and gloves
- A packed lunch, extra water and snacks
- A small backpack for the items mentioned above
The distance of this tour is 9,5 kilometers with an ascent of 600 meters and this hiking trip is suitable for people in good condition with some previous hiking experience. Please do not book this tour if it exceeds your skill-level or physical abilities.
Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or cancelled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.
Have a nice hike!