Pulpit Rock Sunrise Hike
On an annual basis, Preikestolen welcomes more visitors than any other trekking-destination in Norway! And it's no wonders, with the amazing views waiting at the top! On the Pulpit Rock Sunrise Hike you even get to experience the sunrise!
In 2018, approximately 300,000 hikers are expected to make their way up to the top of the imposing cliff that clings to the mountainside 604 meters above the Lysefjord, and offers some of the best views Fjord Norway has to offer.
You are invited to experience a unique Preikestolen hiking adventure, guaranteed to be crowd-free! Start your day in the midst of darkness, and hike with headlamps through the morning twilight on trails that have recently been upgraded by Nepalese Sherpas.
Experience standing atop Preikestolen before the crowds of tourists arrive, and watch as the first deep orange beams of sunlight illuminate the steep mountain walls that tower over the Lysefjord.
Finish off the morning with a well-deserved breakfast/lunch. This is a moderately to demanding 6-hour, 8 kilometer hike with a total ascent of 500 meters.
Good to know
- Meeting place: Stavanger Tourist Information, see map here. Please be there 10 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 9 - 12 hours, depending on time of year and weather
- Transportation: Approx. 1 hour (each way)
- Hiking: Approx. 6 hours (including breaks)
- Post-hike rest: Approx. 1 hour (including breakfast at Preikestolen Mountain Lodge)
- Minimum age is 8 years. Children from 8 - 15, adults from 16 years
- The price includes: Transportation, a professional guide, use of headlamp and hiking poles, hot beverages & snack, post-hike breakfast/lunch
- Please bring/wear:
- Proper hiking boots and warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants and a rain-proof jacket
- Fleece or woollen sweater, warm hat and gloves
- Water / extra snacks or food
- A small backpack for the items mentioned above
Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or cancelled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given.
NOTE: We cannot guarantee that the sunrise will be visible during all hikes. As with all outdoor activities, weather is not something humans can control. Based on our experiences with past guests, we don’t cancel our tours in advance because of grey skies, light rain, or fog. Guests have a wide range of expectations, but it is our experience that most would rather go through with their hike, regardless of the weather conditions.
Hiking under blue skies is nice, but there is also beauty in hiking through clouds, fog, and light rain. Some of the most spectacular sunrises have resulted from such conditions.
Have a nice hike!