The Craftsman’s hike from Voss
Western Norway is famous for its strong and rich cultural traditions. Voss is where nature meets culture. This allows us to go on hikes where we get to enjoy both scenic nature and explore the cultural history.
In Voss, several craftsmen keep alive the local building traditions, craftsmanship and know-how, which often find their origin several centuries back in time. On the Craftsman’s hike, you will rediscover traditions that are an important and integral part of the Norwegian identity. Unfortunately, these traditions are now mostly forgotten due to lack of use and education.
Jean-Christophe is a carpenter, now specialised in traditional craftsmanship. He will take you to a traditional farm in a typical Western-Norwegian landscape where he will explain to you several aspects of the traditional building techniques, related to the local environment of the hike. You will learn about log houses, “grindbygg”, the use of hand tools (especially the axe), about tree felling, dry masonry, and more.
We will also talk about how traditional buildings function and how life was in such houses and barns, and compare it to the modern times
The focus on this trip is culture and history. Still, you will find yourself in the midst of pristine nature as we walk through forests, over mountain streams and along fields (where we probably will meet some sheep and cows).
Do not hesitate to bring along many questions and we will look for the answers together!
Good to know
- Meeting point: Voss Railway Station, Stasjonsveien 5700 Voss, see map HERE. Meet 15 minutes before your booked time
- Duration: 5 hours, including 1hr transport
- Please wear outdoor clothing and solid hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Please bring: a small rucksack (20 litres), sunglasses, sun lotion, extra t-shirt and sweater, waterproof clothing (shell layer) and beanie or knit cap, snacks or packed lunch, water bottle. Trekking poles are recommended
- The price includes: An experienced craftsman to guide you during your whole trip. A meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks, prepared on a stove. All necessary safety equipment. Bus tickets from Voss to the starting point and back to Voss after the trip. Unlimited access to warm clothing such as gloves, beanies, woolen sweaters and socks
- This trip is suitable for healthy people with some hiking experience
- Minimum age: 9 years
Enjoy your tour!