Oslo Nature Walk: Island Hopping tour
Discover Oslo's world-class coastal scenery on a 4-hour island hop. Explore 3 of the city's best-preserved islands and discover sites that vary from the ruins of a 1,000-year-old abbey to small summer seaside villages, hidden beaches and sea cliffs.
What to Expect
Climb aboard a local ferry to your first destination at the start of this fun island-hopping adventure. Sail to Hovedøya ("Main Island") where some of Oslo's best history and coastal scenery will be revealed. Learn how English monks came to Christianize post-Viking Oslo and set up a powerful abbey on the island nearly 1,000 years ago.
Admire the well-preserved ruins as you walk among the chambers and rooms. Hear stories of Norway's transition from the Viking era to become part of a Christian Europe. Continue through sheep pastures and birch forests to arrive at the old ramparts and cannons from the 19th-century Napoleonic Wars. Explore the rugged coastline and stop at some beaches and lookout points before returning to the pier to catch another ferry to the island of Lindøya.
Arrive at Lindøya and experience the charm of a summer retreat. See traditional wooden homes and gardens of flowers that contrast beautifully with the surrounding fjord. Get fantastic views from the summit of the island and work up an appetite for a picnic lunch. Stop at a local food store, if needed, to pick up something to eat. Enjoy your picnic on a southwest-facing beach and soak up the immense views of the water and hills.
Then, jump on another ferry and head to the island of Gressholmen, where the nature preserve is home to thick forest, sea cliffs and hidden beaches. Enjoy some free time to swim in the surprisingly warm waters of the fjord, heated to temperatures of between 18 and 24 degrees Celsius (66 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit) by the Gulf Stream.
Catch the ferry back to the city center and get an amazing entry into the port. Marvel at some of Oslo's most iconic sites, such as the old fortress of Akershus Festning, City Hall and the revitalized port of Aker Brygge.
What You'll Do
- Hop from island to island on the fjords of Oslo
- Take a swim in the warm waters on the island of Gressholmen. Wind your way along village paths full of flowers on the summer island of Lindøya
- Discover a 1,000-year-old abbey on the island of Hovedøya
Good to know
- Meeting Point: The Viking Biking Shop in Nedre Slottsgate 4, 0157 Oslo
- A guide will be with you during the island hopping tour. Safety instructions will be given at the beginning of the tour
- Water, ponchos, and maps and available to purchase in the shop
- Toilet facilities are available for customers
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Not Included: Public transportation ticket (for sale at the shop if needed)
Participants are encouraged to carry a backpack for their swimwear, towel, water and food for a picnic lunch. Water and food can be purchased during the tour as an alternative.