Rib boat trip to a fish farm in Bergen
- Fjord Cruises and Fjord Safari
An experience at top speed! This RIB-boat trip will take you from Bergen and out to a real fish farm, where you get to learn more about Norwegian salmon, up close.
Did you know that every day 14 million meals of Norwegian salmon are consumed around the world? Fish is one of Norway’s largest export trades – soon to reach a value of over NOK 100 billion per year. This tour gives you insight to how Norwegian salmon is produced: after walking through a modern exhibition about aquaculture at the museum, we bring you out to visit an actual fish farm.
Your experience starts at the Norwegian Fisheries Museum, located in authentic wooden seaside stockfish warehouses from the 1700’s. At the museum your knowledgeable guide will take you through our interactive aquaculture exhibition Fin City. The exhibition shows all aspects of salmon production: from egg, to a finished product ready to be sold to the world!
After this introduction to Norwegian salmon production you are ready to travel to an actual fish farm. A RIB-boat transports you safely to the farm, where you see the production up close. It takes about 40 min. to reach the fish farm, and we spend around 40 minutes at the farm. All in all, an unforgettable trip through a rugged coastal landscape, seasoned with a rush of adrenaline!
After the trip
Explore the Norwegian Fisheries Museum
Your ticket also gives you free entrance to the Norwegian Fisheries Museum. The museum lets you explore Norway’s fisheries history through modern and interactive exhibitions. Learn more about the stock fish trade, seal- and whale hunting, or explore our historic museum building. The museum is located by the sea in the picturesque area of Sandviken, just 5 minutes from Bryggen.
Café Bod 24
After having an exciting day at sea, you are welcome to enjoy a tasteful lunch, a cake or a cup of coffee at our café, Bod 24. The café offers a unique atmosphere both inside, and out on the outdoor terrace. From May to September the café is open from 10 – 17.
How to get to the Norwegian Fisheries Museum
Take the FREE Museum Shuttle Bus
The bus runs every 30 minutes between the Tourist Information, the Norwegian Fisheries Museum and Schøtstuene (a part of the Hanseatic Museum). We guarantee an eventful introduction to the history of Bergen.
City bus or bike
The museum is located only 5 minutes from the city centre by bus. Bus number 3, 4, 5, 6, 36, 39 and 83 run continuously every day and stop at Sandvikstorget nearby the museum. Across the street from the museum, you will find a city bike station.
Hop onboard the ferry and enjoy the beautiful view
During the summer season (18.May-15.Sept), you can visit the Norwegian Fisheries Museum by the historic ferries Beffen and MF Vågen. Departures from Vågen (by the Fish Market). Additional stops at Bergen Aquarium and the Old Bergen Museum.
- Meeting point: In the reception at the Norwegian Fisheries Museum, Sandviksboder 23, see map HERE
- Meeting time: 12:30
- Duration: Approximately 2,5 - 3 hours
- Minimum age: 12 years of age. Children under 15 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- Physical requirements: All participants must be able to board the boat by themselves. If you are pregnant of suffer from back injuries, you must decide if you are fit enough for the RIB-boat trip. All participants must sign a health declaration prior to departure
- Equipment: All participants are/will be equipped with a RIB suit, life west, helmet, googles and shoes. We recommend that you bring a scarf, thick socks, and gloves if it’s cold
- The boat ride: RIB-boats are highly suited for a safe and comfortable trip at sea. There is room for 12 passengers. The boat will travel at high speed, but speed is adjusted in accordance with weather. Safety is our priority, and safety instructions will be given in in advance
- Cancellations: The trip can be due to bad weather, illness, other force majeure situations. If this happens, the ticket will be refunded in full
Remember your camera - have a nice trip!